Saturday, August 30, 2008

More Sonobe Origami Christmas Ornaments

Now that I'm getting the hang of these things, they're actually kinda fun. I figured out a little trick for getting them together. At first I was having a really hard time keeping the right shape. They kept ending up getting oblong. So what has really helped me is to start the top with 5 pieces together using THESE directions, then make several groups of 3's using THESE directions and just work the 3's in. So much easier than one piece at a time, and so much easier to keep the right shape.

So anyway, I wanted to make more, but I didn't want to use up all my DSP, and then it hit me! Remember that wrapping paper that SU had in a mini catalog last year? It works wonderful for this! Thinner paper is so so much easier to work with, and you don't end up with as many gaps that way either.
So after I made that one, I thought, well I have tons of other wrapping paper too! So at about midnight I decided to attack my closet and get out some wrapping paper. When I say attack my closet, I'm serious lol. It's a tiny little closet with everything packed in like sardines. My Christmas tree box in on one side, the wrapping paper box is in the middle and the other side is literally just piles of stuff, plus a whole bunch more stuff on top of everything else. So to get to the wrapping paper, I had to take all the junk off the top. Meanwhile the pile of junk to the left of the wrapping paper box is steadily squeaking and slipping. The majority is not boxes. Just loose stuff that just got crammed in there. Everything started to fall. I was trying to hold up the closet and hollering for my husband to come help me. We got everything back in though. It was pretty darn funny. Kinda dreading having to do this again when it's time to decorate for Christmas.
This one is made from foil wrapping paper. This was so much harder to work with. I don't think I'll do it again. The red was fine since it was just a little foiled, but the silver was like working with aluminum foil. I do like the result though. It's really shinywink.

Supplies used-SU wrapping paper (can't remember what it's called), I *think* all the other wrapping paper came from hobby lobby. They have great wrapping paper by the way.
1/4" grosgrain ribbon in White, Bashful Blue, and Silver (retired).

11 comments:

Carly said...

*GASP* OH WOW!! Those are sooo COOL! I love making 3D items like this. GOOD JOB! hmmm...wish I had more wrapping paper ;)

mudmaven said...

Great idea. I'm probably dating myself here, but your closet sounds just like Dagwood's closet! ~chris

Lesli said...

Oh My - those are absolutely beautiful. I am going to forward this link onto a friend whose daughter loves origami!

Marilyn Goodrich said...

Those are FABULOUS! Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em! :)

Jami said...

These are so cool - I think I like them better with the wrapping paper - they have a glossy look, and that really cool metallic one!! Love these!!

smiles from Korea,
Jami

Marilyn said...

Wow Wow WOW!!!! These are amazing!! Your Christmas tree is going to ROCK!! Looks like a lot of time and effort to me, but maybe someday I'll try one - but these are simply outstanding ornaments!!

Cheryl said...

These are beautiful! I need to try my hand at one.

~Denise Lynn~ said...

WOW! These are awesome Emily! Love the prints. These will look great on your holiday tree! :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, Emily!!!
Hugs and smiles

shannon said...

Wow, these are fabulous! I can't wait to try one!

Unknown said...

Holy cow, these are spectacular!!