Wednesday, November 26, 2008

SC204 and a recipe =)


Aren't these monkeys adorable! I've been wanting this set for a few months, so when I saw it at Hobby Lobby last night I had to get it! I got 4 more Copics and a Brilliance ink pad toorazz. This one is working great. I don't know whats up with the palette. I've seen a bunch of people say that's what they use, but it runs like crazy for me, even if I heat set it. This card uses the sketch challenge on SCS, 204.

-Stamps-Mindy's Zoo by Autumn Leaves, It's your Birthday
-Paper-Wild Wasabi, Purely Pomegranate and Whisper White cardstock; Washington Apple DSP
-Ink-Brilliance graphite black, Wild Wasabi and Copics.

I wanted to share a great recipe with you too. I'm actually making this right now, to bring with us tomorrow. We are going to NC to see hubby's family. This is one of my favorite deserts! I'll warn you, it's rich, and I'm sure it's horrible for you wink.

Caramel Pie
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
Graham cracker pie crust
Small container of Cool Whip
Mini Chocolate Chips (or shaved Hershey's bar) to sprinkle on top

I always double this recipe, since it's not trouble at all to make more, you just need a bigger pot.
Remove the labels from the cans of sweetened condensed milk. Scrap off the glue with a fork or something. It will leave a nasty very hard to remove ring in your pot if you don't. Boil the cans of sweetened condensed milk ON THEIR SIDES (just in case they bust) for 2 1/2 hours. Make sure they are fully covered with water at all times because they could cause them to burst. Rotate the cans every half hour or so. Drain the water, and once the cans are cooled off, put them in the refrigerator. Wait at least 2 hours before you open the cans. Empty the cans into a bowl and stir. Then just put the caramel into the pie crusts. Top with cool whip and mini chocolate chips. Let it sit in the refrigerator a few more hours or overnight if possible to firm up. It tastes better later too.

Oh, and if you want to knock off some of the calories, you can use one can of reduced fat sweet condensed milk and one regular for each pie (I've never tired doing both). You really can't tell. It just makes it slightly less rich. I actually prefer it this way, but I forgot about that when I was buying sweetened condensed milk yesterdayrolleyes.

BTW, I've never had a can burst, but it's always best to be on the safe side. If you don't feel comfortable with this method though, I've seen a recipe where you empty the cans into a slow cooker and cook for 6 hours. I've never tried it though.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

post signature

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sooo... you're telling me that boiling scd turns it into carmel? Crazy! I'm going to star this and try it sometime!

Cute card, too!

Kathy W said...

super cute
and (2) in words of Rachel Ray- Yumm-0!

Lorie said...

Ummm...yummy! Both the pie and the card!

Cheryl said...

Sounds yummy Emily! We are leaving NC to head to VA for our Thanksgiving. Have a wonderful visit with your hubbies family.

~Denise Lynn~ said...

What a cute cute card Emiily! Love those silly little monkeys and the scene you've created! That pie sounds very yummy too! TFS!! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Corie said...

What a beautiful card. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!!

Ellibelle said...

What a cute card! Love those monkeys and what you did with them! Great sketch too!